SPLASHNEWS-Today’s Music=Worthless Garbage!

Articles, General — By on June 24, 2013 7:05 am

no music

@splashnewsusa -This article is addressed to all the haters out there. You know who you are. The most common statement I hear from people is “there is NO good music today”. I have debated too many people on this subject and I decided enough is enough. It is time to put my thoughts in writing and whoever wishes to disagree can do so in the comments section.

Where is the “Aderabe” of yesteryear? Where is “Sameach” from the 90’s? Can it be that there are really no good songs today? Of course you already guessed that my answer is- no, it can’t be and music today is awesome.  So why do many people not agree with this statement? I have two reasons. Well, I really have one reason and composer Yossi Green in an interview with SPLASHNEWS, told us another. First I’ll start with Yossi Green-

SPLASHNEWS-Being in the music world for so long, do you see today’s music getting better?

-Yossi Green-It’s getting better than ever. The only issue is that there is a lot of choice. When I was growing up there was a new album every six months and everyone bought it. Today there is so much going on and each singer has a few hundred people that love him. No one is really taking the full market.

Analysis- I think that Yossi has a good point here. Think of it like walking into a rest stop to buy a drink and they have about 276 different types of soda and other assorted drinks. Unless you came with a plan, you probably stand there for a good couple minutes trying to choose a drink. An even better way to prove my point is if you did come with a favorite soda in mind, you will walk directly to that soda and choose it without even looking at all the choices including the many new types of drinks. This is music today. You can figure out the nimshal.

My reason is that people today have completely lost patience for anything. Almost anytime someone asks me to hear a new song, I  start to play the music and the first question after about 8 seconds is “How long is the song?” Tell me if this is you- You purchase a new album, turn it on and if the music doesn’t catch you after 5 seconds your finger is already headed towards the skip button. I will venture to say that if “Tanye” came out today it will go nowhere! The average person won’t even let the song finish before they say “what a bust” and start lamenting over the state of today’s music. I usually prove this point by telling people to name an album that they recently listened to and I will give them a song from that album that they never even heard of. It always works. Last summer I directed a boys choir and one of the songs that was sung was “Ki Lecha” from MBC-Mi Lashem Eilai, a popular album. After the concert, numerous members of the crowd commented on the gorgeous song and asked where it was from. Upon my response, they asked- “Really? I heard that album but I’m pretty sure that song isn’t on it”…  By attending the  concert, they were “forced” to listen to the entire song and they were opened up to its beauty.

Whatever type of music you like today, you are almost certain to have a singer that sings your style. If you want fun you have Lipa; sweet- you have Gertner; powerful- Shwekey, Fried or Benny; range- Leiner or Ohad; hartzig- Baruch Levine; younger voices- Shainfeld, Dadia, or Meydad Tasa; kids choirs- Shira Chadasha Boys Choir,YBC, Miami, NYBC; different(?)- 8th Day; Chassidish- Greenfeld, Weber and about 20 others; chazzanus- Helfgot (who is arguably the best since Yossele Rosenblatt); you even have Tzudik for those who aren’t sure if they like chazzanus! I could go on but I won’t because the list is just too long! (I once tried to make a list but stopped after 40 singers.)  —How can you compare this to the music of the past?!  In the 90’s we had, after Fried and MBD of course, the “Big 3”- Dachs, Wald (welcome back), and Sruly Williger. We also had Avrumie Flam and the crowd favorite-Dedi.  But that’s it! Can you really compare the 90’s to 2013? No way! Those guys were great but I think everyone would agree that we are just in a different level today.

I can go on for a lot longer but I  think I made my point. If you disagree feel free to speak your mind down below. (If you really want more, you can email splashnews.jmr@gmail.com)

WARNING:  Please refrain from lashon hara in your comments or they will not be approved!!

1. Yos says:

Yossi green’s answer, that there are more choices out there, makes no sense. More choices means people can find they’re niche and should enjoy music more. (Sales may be down for that reason, but should still be good music)… Then again YG is in the music selling buisness..
    As far as your answer, that we have short attention spans nowadays, definetly has some truth to it.. However it does not account for the fact that fried and mbd and a couple others, are as popular as ever, even their new stuff ( sales prob don’t reflect that). While the new and ‘upcoming’ singers remain largely unrecognized.. And when a truly great song from another singer comes along, we DO recognize it…
    I think ALOT of today’s music is amatuer and subpar… I’ll attribute that to, auto tune, songs that sound the same and that are not creative, and half an Album of filler songs.. Probably most of all b/c even if you are good, there is not much money in Jewish music.. Due to a variety or reasons. Competition. yes, attention spans, but not the least of which is That the jewis music labels, and singers, have for the most part not adopted iTunes etc… and have not provided a reasonable alternative.. Apps and cloud to steam and download Etc…

2. Mechel says:

Wow. your so right I can’t agree with you more

3. @JMMusings says:

the rule is: last year is always better!
    in ten years people will rave about the music today…
    BUT it is true that many people don’t appreciate much of the “modernization” that goes on in jm today and miss the yiddishe ta’am. it is also possible that there is less money (thanks to copying) and new ideas than there was in the 90’s.

4. moishe s. says:

I, as an outsider (i always believe if you have nothing nice to say dont say it) do understand part of the frustration from people who complain jewish music has too much of a non jewish similarity with the music of the world.

Yes, i understand jewish music has ALWAYS had influences from the outside world, lots of old chassic niggunim come from east european folk songs, and a lot of todays superstars like fried and mbd definatly had influence in some way from the 80s `music world` (the funky bas/ guitar styles), not to mention mbd`s yidden.

HOWEVER, there is a massive difference between using a tool in a positive taam, and doing something good with it to bring simcha to the world, than playing some rap or techno song that sounds like its fresh from the nearest shvarzeh nightclub, and sadly there is a lot of `frum jewis music` that sounds like that.

Once again i have no issue with being cool, modern and uplifting, but there is a borderline, and there is far too much music of the last few years that looks to be by the borderline.

It is for those reasons that i can understand (from a neutral point of view), and as somebody who loves jewish music, why people would say that todays `crop of music` is not like the past.

5. Just a Fan says:

Great article. I agree with you. There is tons of good music out there and literally something for everyone. If someone doesn’t like a particular artist or album, there is undoubtedly SOME Jewish CD they will enjoy. I have heard of people who don’t enjoy Jewish music and listen to only non-Jewish. When they realize they could get techno, alternative rock, bluesy, etc., music with Jewish words, they are surprised. Then people who hate techno hear a Jewish techno song and say “Jewish music is terrible!” Not correct.

6. moishe s. says:

also, i would like to add i have massive hopes for the future, benny friedman has a BRILLIANT voice – but he needs uplifting songs like yesh tikvah! uplifting songs is where his voice really shines…. it is all about the right material for the right singers to be honest

7. dnh says:

splashnews, I agree with you that today in music there is more of a variety then there used to be and people are impatient but today because there is such a big variety and many songs are being composed many of them tend to sound alike and there is nothing original to many of them. The more songs composed the less room there is to work with in any genre because of such a big variety. A few composers who are very talented (like Yossi green and buruch levine etc.) have the ability to compose songs that still sound original even with all the similarity’s of the songs of today. Many composers today don’t have that ability to make music how it used to be whether inspirational,sweet,hartzig,powerful etc. its just the way songs work the more variety the more similarity which I believe is why music today is not what it used to be.

8. Wald Fan says:

Sure there is good music nowadays! but it’s all the bad music that is annoying! You didn’t get that previously. The good music is getting drowned out by the utter drivel people are putting out.

As for people skipping songs, If a song is good people will listen to it the whole way through. Good songs take off right away – think Shwekey’s Racheim or v’heshamda, Baruch Levine’s Vzachainu, or all the countless mega hits by mbd, fried et al. they were all instant hits.

I used to buy cd’s and then listen to them. Now I have to listen to them and then, if ok, buy them. Turn on the Jewish radio presently and you will be hit by some seriously ear damaging rubbish. What’s with all the auto-tuning?
    3 years ago I snapped a brand new cd I had just purchased as it was just sooo bad.

As a side note the 90’s had a load more singers then your list states. It is certainly not a case of “that’s it”: Michoel Streicher, Piamenta, Gershon Veroba, Yeedle, Shlomo Simcha, Yishai Lapidot (Oif Simchas), Miami Boys, London boys, tzlil v’zemer boys as well as singers like Shlomo Carlebach, Dov Levine, Benzion Shenker , Dveykus, Regesh just to name a few

9. HOLYHOLYHOLY says:

good job mushul man!
    it’s been a while since i choose a drink @ the rest stop.
    do they still sell be’er mayim chayim (!!!)
    i ussually get RC since it’s a shekel cheaper, PLUS it goes better with CHUMMUS and TACHINA!
    brush the hair off the paper,sorry $ reading it while getting a haircut.
    NO lashon hora here so can U pls post.

10. DoGo says:

Very well written SPLASHNEWS, keep up your great work!

11. Mapil Studios says:

I’m fully with you!! We have to start enjoying music! Music is not ment to just keep you occupied, Get into it! Music now has alot more then the oldies it just doesn’t have the ’90’ on it!

12. SlapBassist says:

Excellent point about the attention span.
    I have yet to see a single person I know start a song on an iPod, and listen right through it. They listen for 5 sends, the jump to 1:36 to see if it interests them, then skip to the next song.

As Bill Watterson put it:

“…a 15-second commercial exceeds the average American attention span by a good 14 seconds…”

13. lemika says:

fantastic article! as usual splash delivers! i personally know of two amazing new songs that are going to be the next “BIG ONES” acheinu and ani mamin and you heard it here first! and btw is “sung” a word??

14. raphael says:

Just so happens that I already knew the ki lecha song,and you’re right its a beautiful song,who’s words fit it perfectly

15. Inspiring Voice says:

I also happen to love “Ki Lecha” from MBC-Mi Lashem Eilai!
    I was surprised why it wasn’t on the new Miami DVD and wasn’t sung by concerts.

16. Leah'la says:

One of the best composers out there who composes songs with a yiddishe taam as well as beautiful uplifting original music is YERACHMIEL BEGUN!!!! He’s on par with Yossi Green.